Did I Say You Could Read This?
Wouldn't want you to leave on an empty mind...
Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Look at me! Look at me!?! Please.... 

....someone, pay attention to ME! I'm still relevant, right?"

As far as I can tell, that's what Tim Eyman's trying to say by getting involved campaigning against Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels' transportation transit measure, which will be on this fall's ballot.

First off, Tim Eyman is not a Seattle resident - he lives in Mukilteo. This tax will not affect him in any way, shape, or form. This is not the first time he has tried to change policies in jurisdictions not his own - he tried to get voters state-wide to nullify Sound Transit funding through I-776, but fortunately for us it was thrown out in court.

So now he's desperate to somehow keep the spotlight on himself - I-917 is facing a signature verification process, which will likely fail and leave no Eyman measures on the ballot this year (R-65, Eyman's "I'm not just against taxes, but also against gay people" referendum, failed miserably to even collect the signatures needed to overturn the gay civil rights act passed by last year's legislature).

Frankly, I agree with Seattle Deputy Mayor Tim Ceis who said ""I don't think people in Seattle want a watch dealer in Mukilteo telling them what to do... He comes out against things in order to make money. He's a mercenary and I don't think Seattle voters like ... him at all."

Eyman did allow one bit of truthiness to come out in the news story when he admitted that "It's a very smart electorate in Seattle...". Seattle voters are so smart, in fact, that they've rejected every single one of Eyman's hair-brained schemes (with the exception of the I-900 last year - the additional money/power for the State Auditor).

Personally, I wasn't sure what I thought of the Mayor's plan - the taxes are kind of wacky, and there's also the fact that there's no hard end date to the taxes - but now that Eyman's come out against it, the Mayor has my vote!

spouted incoherently at Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by Willis

|

Comments: Post a Comment
Listed on BlogShares