Did I Say You Could Read This?
Wouldn't want you to leave on an empty mind...
Sunday, September 25, 2005

Apocalyptica 

I went to the best show last night - a Scandinavian heavy metal cello quartet called Apocalyptica (yes, I just said "heavy metal cello quartet").

I was introduced to them 10 years ago when they released an album of Metallica cello covers (yes, I just said "Metallica cello covers"). It wasn't a great album, but it was a new and interesting way to hear my favorite band (at the time - since then they release ReLoad - and I'm sure I'm not the only fan whose devotion has waned in the last decade....).

In their second album they started to release their own original compositions (and at the same time their covers became more intricate and hard core - especially in the case of Sepultura's "Refuse, Resist", where they made some truly unnatural sounds come from their instruments).

Long story short, I was a fan, but never held out hope of seeing them live - how many Scandinavian cover bands tour the States, much less Seattle? My wife was nice enough to point out an upcoming date, and my work schedule and budget both agreed with the decision to check it out.

And I was blown away!

They managed to mix the frantic pulse of a heavy metal show with the beauty of a classical performance. One second you would be headbanging, the next you'd be in awe of their fingering skill. It was one of the most staggering shows I've ever seen - it was so good that I was seriously thinking about driving down to Portland to catch their Sunday show (then I realized that it would be 6 hours in the car, $60 worth of gas, and I wouldn't be home until 3:00 Monday morning....).

I know that I don't have the words to describe the magic that is Apocalyptica - I urge you to check out their website and listen to a clip or two (make sure you turn the volume UP), or watch a video.

spouted incoherently at Sunday, September 25, 2005 by Willis

|

Comments:
Cool blog you have. I have a friend playing cello
related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is friend playing cello

 
Post a Comment
Listed on BlogShares