Did I Say You Could Read This?
Wouldn't want you to leave on an empty mind...
Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Google Web Accelerator 

So, I got all excited today when I heard about Google's new Web Accelerator. I think the idea of them caching the web and acting as a proxy is great - and I do still trust Google - so I installed it and restarted Firefox, fully expecting an even quicker web experience.

As the Vancome Lady would say: "Unh-uh".

For a year or so, I've been using Mike's Ad-Blocker, which is a great little tool which makes almost all web advertising disappear. It essentially just tells your computer which servers host ads, and tells your computer to not show content from those servers. Quick, elegant, and best - free.

So, I install the Google Web Accelerator, and lo and behold, the ads are back. My best guess is that because the GWA works by making Google act as an intermediary between you and the internet, and the Google servers aren't listed in my list of blocked servers (and lord knows, I wouldn't want it to be), the images (and gawd-awful flash ads!) are back.

Oh, and the kicker is that because I'm now loading ads, my page loading is actually slower.

So, nice try Google, but I'll wait for your next release. You're smart, I'm sure you'll find a way to fix this soon.

spouted incoherently at Wednesday, May 04, 2005 by Willis

|

Comments:
"Hi there, I just came across your blog about ad aware free se and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site related to ad aware free se so I know what I am talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"
 
Post a Comment
Listed on BlogShares